“You can’t please everybody. You should worry if you are pleasing everybody.” -Jonathan Franzen
- Photographer I’m Admiring: Bob Adelman for his iconic photos of the Civil Rights movement. He passed away this week.
- 30 iconic and influential photos colorized by Time Magazine.
- A great article at the New York Times on Royal Robbins, who passed away this month at 82.
- Favorite list: Grist’s list of 50 “fixers” who are working to protect the environment.
- Instead of cluttering your inbox with more junk, check out these 25 newsletters worth following. My favorites on this list are Austin Kleon’s Weekly Newsletter and Medium’s Daily Digest.
- What I’m reading: Neil Gaiman’s Sandman, Volume IV, Season of Mists. Neil’s Sandman series is the first comic book series I’ve read, and I’m continuously amazed by the incredible storytelling and the power of images in contributing to the story. In contrast, I’m also reading a book I discovered through a Singaporean friend: Who Ordered this Truckload of Dung: Inspiring Stories for Welcoming Life’s Difficulties by Ajahn Brahm, a Buddhist monk. It includes 108 very short stories with lessons on life and spiritual growth. Don’t let the title turn you away. It’s an easy read and worth the time.
- I’ll be leaving Singapore and returning to Valencia, Spain on Friday. I’m excited to find some new Siesta Doors to share. In the meanwhile, here’s one of my favorites from the series: